The SN74HC165N is a neat little IC that will take an input of up to 8 parallel lines and produce a single, serial output. You can even daisychain 2+ together to add even more parallel lines. It's a great way to increase the number of inputs on a microcontroller.
This chip works with a voltage supply anywhere in the range of 2-6VDC, and at clock frequencies of up to 29MHz (@6VDC).
Comes in a 16-pin DIP package.
- Wide Operating Voltage Range of 2 V to 6 V
- Parallel-to-Serial Data Conversion
- Outputs Can Drive Up To 10 LSTTL Loads
- Low Power Consumption, 80-μA Max ICC
- ±4mA Output Drive at 5 V
- Low Input Current of 1 μA Max
- Complementary Outputs
- Direct Overriding Load (Data) Inputs
- Gated Clock Inputs